Poster Session and Networking Reception
The sponsors of ESS:M&R 3 – Center for Resource recovery & Recycling at Worcester Polytechnic Institute and organizations on Engineering for Social Responsibility and Humanitarian Engineering at the Colorado School of Mines arranged a poster session that showcased the materials sustainability research work being performed at the two universities. Students were available to describe the salient features of their work to the attendees. CSM presented four posters while WPI described six posters. Workshop co-chair Mishra organized a formal presentation of the synopsis of all the posters. A listing of the posters as well as the actual poster pictures are included here. The posters were focused on the areas of energy, environment and materials sustainability.
- Christina Suarez, CSM: Greenhouse Gases, a Carbon-Constrained Regulatory Environment, and the Oil and Gas Industry: How Will We Maintain Our Social License to Operate?
- Rosalie O’Brien, CSM: Constructed Wetlands and Other Produced Water Treatment Technology Opinions from Stakeholders in Oil and Gas Impacted Communities
- Kekahu Aluli, CSM: Cedarville Rancheria Geothermal End Uses Challenge: Working with Indigenous Communities on Sustainable Development Solutions
- Micaela and Michelle Pedrazas Hinojosa, CSM: Technology, Training, and Capacity Building in Artisanal and Small-scale Gold Mining: Using Mobile Training Units to Promote Cleaner, Safer, and More Sustainable Livelihoods in Peru and Bolivia
- Sumedh Gostu, WPI (co-author Brajendra Mishra): Investigation of carbon-based reductant, low-temperature process for conversion of hematite in red-mud to magnetite
- Mark Strauss, WPI: Recovery of rare earths from waste fluorescent lamps
- Sean Kelly, WPI: Auto-Al scrap material flow analysis with compositional projections
- Myungwon Jung, WPI (co-author, Brajendra Mishra): Recovery of vanadium from oil fly ash
- Mikaela DeRousseau, WPI: Battery disassembly in support of material reuse
- Hyunju Lee, WPI (co-author Brajendra Mishra): Recovery of valuable metals from flue dust and other fines from mechanical treatment of e-scrap
- Remya Narayanan, WPI (co-authors Nikolaos Kazantzis, Marion Emmert): Rare earth metals recovery from bauxite residue